Adaptive reuse + renovation of historic former tile factory
660 Main Street is the renovated Guastavino Tile Factory built in 1906 by Spanish engineer and US émigré Raphael Guastavino. Over 1000 historic US buildings feature Guastavino-designed ceramic ceilings, domes, and vaults. 660 Main Street is owned and occupied by TOCCI. In 2001, Boston architect Bergmeyer & Associates designed the adaptive reuse of the factory.
The first floor’s handsome historical detailing includes exposed brick archways, stone walls, 14-foot timber ceilings, and large, arched clerestory windows. The space is easily adaptable to professional, research, or medical use.
Dedicated function space includes a generous conference area, café, private offices with glass doors, server room, business center, and reception area.
The building exterior melds contemporary and traditional elements – cedar and glass blend with century-old half-timber, masonry, and fieldstone. The facade’s natural beauty is enhanced by formal gardens and lush plantings.